Pickens County Health Department Hours are Changing!
Beginning Monday, March 13, 2017, the new clinic hours at the health department will be:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM
For more information about the Pickens County Health Department and local public health services, please contact the health department at 60 Health Way in Jasper, call (706) 253-2821 or log onto www.nghd.org and click on the LOCATIONS tab.
West Price Creek Road Closure
Bridge Located ½ Mile From Jones Mountain Road
Pickens County will be closing West Price Creek Road on January 23, 2017, for the next ten (10) weeks to tear out and replace the bridge structure.
The bridge is located approximately ½ mile from Jones Mountain Road
Please use Trout Farm Road or East Price Creek Road as detours while West Price Creek Road is closed.
Pickens County will do everything we can to help expedite the repairs as we do understand the inconvenience to the citizens of that area.
Notification from Pickens County Water and Sewer Authority of a Level 1 Drought Declaration
Level 1 Drought was declared by Georgia EPD on 3/6/2017
The following activities are allowed under both Level 1 and Level 2 Drought Responses:
• Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf may be done at any time of day for 30 days after installation.
• Irrigation of personal food gardens may be done at any time of day.
• Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses may be done at any time of day and hand-watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container may be done at any time of day.
• General landscape watering may be done after 4:00 p.m. and before 10:00 a.m. on the designated days.
More water conservation information is available at http://epd.georgia.gov/water-conservation.
More water conservation information is available at http://epd.georgia.gov/water-conservation
Wildfires Can Increase Risk for Rabies Exposure
Recent woods and brush fires could cause wild or stray animals to move into residential areas. Residents are strongly cautioned that contact with such animals could result in rabies exposure. Tell your children not to pet or have other contact with wild or stray animals. Very few wild or stray animals have or carry rabies but it is always best to leave them alone unless you or your pets are attacked. Never approach a wild or stray animal exhibiting abnormal behaviors such as appearing to be friendly, disoriented, sick or aggressive.
USDA Wildlife Rabies Surveillance found a raccoon two months ago in Whitfield County that was positive for rabies; no human or domestic animal exposure occurred. The USDA recently distributed oral rabies vaccine baits for wildlife in Whitfield County to reduce rabies in raccoons, foxes, skunks, coyotes and bobcats.
One of the easiest ways to protect your family is to ensure all pets have a current vaccination for rabies. These vaccinations are inexpensive and are very effective in protecting your pets and your family in the event of an encounter with a wild animal.
Report any potential rabies exposure such as a bite or scratch from a wild or stray animal to your Whitfield County Environmental Health Office for investigation and advisement. The phone number is (706) 272-2005. Contact with bats or finding a bat in your home should be reported immediately. The environmental health office can have animals tested for rabies if there is exposure.
Vaccinating your pets, avoiding contact with wild or unknown animals and teaching your children to avoid such contact will prevent rabies exposures. Human rabies treatments must be administered quickly after exposure and can be expensive.
For more information about rabies and its prevention, log onto the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website at http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/.
The bid is for one (1) permanent mounted generator:
1266 East Church Street
Jasper, GA 30143
Contractor to provide the following services:
- Furnish and install an equivalent of Kohler Model 125REZGC, EPA emissions certified Emergency Stationary Natural Gas Engine Driven Generator System rated 125kW, 156 KVA @0.8 PF, 277/480 3Ø
- Generator system include engine block heater, flexible fuel lines, sound attenuated enclosure, weather resistance steel enclosure, stainless steel flexible exhaust connector, critical grade exhaust silencer, battery charger, or Kohler DEC 3000 Microprocessor control or equivalent, and RSAIII – Remote annunciator, Factory authorized startup, operator training, and system load testing using building load at beginning and all conduit and wiring for connection.
- Generator system will tie into and utilize existing automatic transfer switch located in mechanical room.
- Generator system will tie into and utilize existing natural gas service on site. Contractor to provide adequate fuel line and external gas regulator for delivery of full rated gas requirement of generator system at ½ psig delivery pressure within 10 feet of generator intake.
- Generator to be located in area specified by Pickens County and contractor to construct 13′ x 6′ concrete pad (3,000 psig) as foundation for generator with conduit and gas line in concrete.
- Five year equivalent extended warranty on generator system to be provided.
- Full first year factory authorized maintenance to be included.
The work will consist of procuring and installing the generator with all applicable connections and wiring. The work is to be completed within 120 consecutive calendar days from date of the awarding of the contract.
A pre-bid meeting for prospective bidders will be held on March 8, 2017, at 2:00 p.m. in Room 149 at Pickens County Administrative Building located at 1266 East Church Street, Jasper.
All bids must be in by Friday March 24, 2017, at 1:00 p.m. No bids will be received or accepted after 1:00 p.m., March 24, 2017. Bids submitted after the designated hour will be deemed invalid and returned unopened to the bidder. Pickens County reserves the right to waive any irregularities or reject any and all bids.