Employees recognized for Years of Service in the April 2016 BOC Meeting
The following Pickens County employees were recognized for their years of service:
Clerk of Court
Jennifer Jordan ~ 20 Years
Betty Jones ~ 20 Years (pictured)
John Nicholson ~ 10 Years
Angela Allen ~ 10 Years
Barbara Bryant ~ 10 Years
Proposed staff change to the Code of Ordinances for Commercial outdoor shooting ranges
Staff has been approached by representatives of a proposed Commercial outdoor shooting range in the AG (Agricultural) district. A new Commercial outdoor range is currently not be allowed in the AG district. Based on research from Bartow, Catoosa, Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, Gordon, and Rabun counties, staff proposes to allow this use in the AG district with the following requirements:
- Minimum lot size 100 acres.
- Minimum undisturbed buffer 200 feet along property lines adjacent to and/or abutting residential use properties and/or residential land use districts.
- Area where firing activity takes place shall be at least 200 feet from all property lines.
- Hours of operation limited to between 10:00 AM and one hour before sunset Monday to Saturday. On Sunday, hours of operation limited to between 12:30 PM and one hour before sunset.
- Protective natural or artificial barriers must be provided to prevent bullets, shells, or pellets from travelling to human-occupied areas.
- Design of the firing/shooting range shall be in accordance with the most recently revised version of the National Rifle Association (NRA) Range Sourcebook.
- A site plan shall be submitted to the Planning & Development department showing facilities and ranges; the direction of firing; adjacent and/or abutting residential use properties and/or residential land use districts; buffers and distances from property lines; protective barriers; and any other data as required by the zoning administrator or his/her designee.
- This change Only applies to New commercial outdoor shooting ranges.
- This change would Not affect citizens’ right to bear arms and would Not affect noncommercial shooting ranges and turkey shoots, such as fundraisers and nonprofits.
- This change would Not affect existing ranges, such as the one on Jones Mountain Rd.
Planning Commission will review this info during the Monday, June 13 meeting at 6:00 PM. If you have questions, contact Richard Osborne at 706-253-8852.
Election Qualifying Fees for 2016
Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 21-2-131; the governing authority has set qualifying fees for County Offices to be filled in the 2016 Election.
Board of Commissioners:
District 2 (East) $ 306.00
Tax Commissioner $1,591.05
Clerk of Court $1,591.05
Probate Judge $1,591.05
Magistrate Judge $1,591.05
Coroner $ 401.35
Board of Education $ 50.00