Access Encroachment Permit
An Access/Encroachment Permit is required for any project that accesses a county road or revises an existing access. The application for a permit must be made at least 72 hours before any activity is conducted on the public road. No Building Permit will be released until the Access/Encroachment is approved. The permit is obtained from:
Pickens County Planning and Development Office
52 North Main Street
Jasper, Georgia 30143
The application for the Access/Encroachment Permit will require the following:
- A plat of the lot for the proposed structure that includes:
- The street name, right-of-way, surface type of the road from which access is desired.
- The desired point of access in relation to property lines, and any access points within five hundred  feet in both directions of the desired access point on both sides of the road.
- The drainage system of the road from which access is desired within five hundred  feet in either direction of the point of access and how the proposed access will drain into the road drainage system.
- The distance of sight in each direction from the point of access for a distance of five hundred  feet.
- The design of the access point to include the width, alignment, and surface type.
- A completed and signed Access/Encroachment Permit Application or Access Encroachment Modification Permit Application.
- $50.00 residential fee or $100.00 commercial fee (cash or check) payable to Pickens County.
The Access/Encroachment Permit is good for six  months. If the Access has not been completed in that time frame, you must reapply.
Once the application is completed:
- Stake out the proposed driveway.
- Call our office to setup the initial inspection.
- After the Right of Way Specialist has checked the site, install the driveway according to his instructions.
- Call our office for the final inspection after the driveway is installed.
- The Building Permit will not be released until the Access/Encroachment has been approved.