Planning & Development
The Planning & Development department coordinates planning, zoning, and construction activities. We look forward to helping you achieve your goal – whether adding onto your house; obtaining/renewing your OTC business license; rezoning property; subdividing land; constructing a new building; or another project.
Richard Osborne, AICP
Planning & Development Director
- Lot Split / Subdivision Note: per Pickens County Code of Ordinances section 38-181, newly split/subdivided lots must either have direct access to and from a county-maintained or state road; or have direct access to and from a private road meeting the private road standards per County Code sections 38-206 to 38-231 (60 feet of right-of-way).
- A building permit is required for all structures 200 sqft or greater in size. The permit fee will be doubled if construction begins before a permit is issued. If the contractor applies for the permit, he/she must show proof of State contractor’s license and City or County business license (anywhere in Georgia). If the homeowner applies for a residential permit, the contractor’s and business licenses are not required.
- In 2016, the Board of Commissioners voted to revise the Signs section of the Code of Ordinances. As of March 18, 2016, the maximum heights and sizes of freestanding signs are 20 ft tall and 100 sqft on Hwy 515; 15 ft tall and 50 sqft on other State routes; and 10 ft tall and 32 sqft on other roads.
- Zoning: In Pickens County, zoning districts are known as land use intensity districts. The standards may be found in Chapter 67 of the Pickens County Code of Ordinances, and the official map may be found below as a PDF. For zoning questions, please call 706-253-8850.
- The Pickens County Code of Ordinances may be found at www.municode.com
- The State Minimum Codes effective January 1, 2017 may be found here.
- The Pickens County Comprehensive Plan, most recently updated in 2013, can be found here.