Septic System Permit
A Septic System Permit is required for any Building Permit Application for new construction or renovation that adds a bedroom. It is obtained from:
Pickens County Environmental Health
1266 East Church St
Jasper, Georgia 30413
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 – 9:30 am and from 1:00 – 1:30 pm
The application for the Septic Tank Permit will require the following:
- An Original Level III Soil Evaluation
- A plat of the lot for the proposed structure
- A house and floor plan for the specific house being built (including porches, decks, garages, etc.)
- The proposed house footprint (with porches, decks, garages, and driveway) must be staked out on the lot with clearly flagged property lines.
- A completed and signed Septic System Application. You may pick up an application form at our office or download it here.
- Fees are based on the square footage of the house or mobile home and are as follows:
- $150 (up to 1000 square feet)
- $200 (1,001 – 2000 square feet)
- $250 (2,001 – 3000 square feet)
- $350 (3,001 – 4000 square feet)
- $450 (4,001 – 5000+ square feet)
CASH OR CHECK ONLY payable to Pickens County Environmental Health Department
Please call our office at 706-253-0900 as the first step in the application process (checklist). We may already have a current soil test and/or the plat of your lot on file. This is likely to be true if you are building in an existing subdivision. If we do not have a Soil Evaluation, click here for a list of approved soil classifiers.
When all of the elements of the application process are completed, our Environmental Health Specialist will schedule an on-site Inspection to determine the suitability of your lot for a Septic System Permit.
If your site is approved, there is a second inspection of the Septic Tank after installation, before it is covered up, required for the release of the Septic System Permit.